About one in seven Windsor and Maidenhead adults still unvaccinated
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has appealed to the millions of people across the UK who have yet to accept the offer of a coronavirus vaccine to finally get the vaccine to help the country avoid more restrictions strict during the winter.
NHS England data shows 110,953 people aged 18 and over in Windsor and Maidenhead received a first dose of the vaccine on September 13.
But that means 22,436 are still unvaccinated, or about 16.8% of all adults in the region, based on the number of people enrolled in the National Immunization Management Service.
READ MORE: What you could buy in these European capitals for the average price of a property in Slough
Those aged 30-39 have the highest refusal rates in the region, with 26.5% not yet having received a jab, followed by the 18-29 age group (26.4%).
A higher proportion of children aged 16 and 17 are not vaccinated (35.6%), but the vaccine was offered to them much later than others.
At the other end of the scale, only 4.6% of people aged 80 to 89 did not receive their first vaccine.
Around 10.8% of the UK population aged 16 and over did not accept the offer of a Covid-19 vaccine.
As the Prime Minister launched his plan to ‘live’ with the disease over the next few months, his chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, said increasing vaccination levels was key to reducing the number of cases and maintain lighter controls.
He said: “There are about five million people eligible for vaccines now who have not been vaccinated.
READ MORE: Thames Valley Police seized over £ 1million from criminals last year
“Trying to persuade these people that it is the right thing to do to get the vaccine would make a significant difference.
“Immunity is really important in keeping this low and allows for lighter measures to be put in place to keep it under control.”
Johnson said additional measures could include vaccine passports, as well as returning face masks to public places and encouraging people to work from home.
However, he said the “priority” was to get everyone vaccinated as possible, insisting that it was in their own best interests to protect themselves.
The government said vaccine protection was resistant to the disease “very well”, but there was evidence that it was fading – especially among those who are most vulnerable.
Health Secretary Sajid Javid has confirmed that booster shots will be offered from next week (September 20) to maintain levels of protection as the country enters the fall.
It will be available to the estimated 62,939 people in Windsor and Maidenhead aged 50 and over on the NIMS, as well as health and social workers, 16 to 49 year olds with underlying health conditions, adult caregivers and adult household contacts of immunocompromised individuals. .
Separate data from the Department of Health and Social Affairs shows that around 1,095 residents of care homes in the region are also eligible for the recall.
However, 25 (2.3 percent) of them still had not received their first blow on August 24 – the latest figures available.
Meanwhile, estimates from the Office for National Statistics show that about 8,457 young people aged 12 to 15 in Windsor and Maidenhead will be offered their first jab.