Black equal rights activist ‘criticizes’ after shooting, say colleagues
A woman hailed as “a strong and powerful voice” in the black equal rights movement was shot in the head, her colleagues said.
Sasha Johnson, mother of three, is in critical condition in hospital.
Officials from the Take the Initiative Party (TTIP), an economic and political group she works for, said the shooting took place in the early hours of Sunday and followed “numerous death threats.”
The Oxford graduate is a well-known figure in the Black Lives Matter movement and is described as “a strong and powerful voice for our people and our community” by TTIP.
In a statement, TTIP said: “It is with great sadness that we inform you that our own Sasha Johnson was shot to the head.
“She is currently hospitalized and in critical condition.
“The incident took place in the early hours of this morning, following numerous death threats.
“Sasha has always been an active advocate for black people and the injustices that surround the black community, in addition to being both a member of the BLM and a member of the executive board of the Taking The Initiative party.
TTIP called on people to “all come together and pray for Sasha, pray for her recovery and show our support to her family and loved ones.”
Claudia Webbe, Labor MP for Leicester East, was among those who went online to express ‘solidarity’ with Ms Johnson.
Ms Webbe said: “We were all out last year for Black Lives Matter.
“I only know her as an activist on these Black Lives Matter issues. I support Black Lives Matter and therefore support what she was doing.
“As a Member of Parliament, I am in full solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement and I support its work in the Black Lives Matter movement.
Ms Johnson works in activism and community support and graduated first in social work at the University of Oxford.
Her page on the TTIP website says, “She has an immense passion for implementing change and justice and actively supports the eradication of injustices in society by participating and leading protests.
“Although not everyone agrees with her methods, she is not afraid to stand up for her beliefs.
“She is also committed to feeding the homeless and has been personally involved in delivering food and groceries to families in need.”
The Metropolitan Police subsequently re-launched a call for witnesses regarding a 27-year-old woman hospitalized with potentially fatal injuries after being shot in the early hours of Sunday.
The Met said the woman was found after officers were called to reports of gunfire in Consort Road, Peckham, south-east London, shortly before 3 a.m.
It is believed that the shooting occurred near a house where a party was taking place and that a number of people may have been in the area.
A spokesperson said that although the investigation is at an early stage, there is no indication that this was a targeted attack or that the woman had received credible threats against her prior to this incident.
Detectives from the Met’s Crime Command (Trident) are leading the investigation.
Chief Detective Inspector Jimi Tele said: “This was a shocking incident that left a young woman seriously injured. Our hearts go out to his supportive family at this terribly difficult time.
He said detectives were making “good progress” in hunting down the attackers, but needed the public’s help.
It is “crucial” that anyone who saw anything suspicious in the Consort Road area in the early hours of Sunday, or who has heard any reports since then, get in touch.
Mr Tele added: “Finally, I recognize that this incident will have shocked those in the local community and beyond.
“I would ask people to avoid speculating on the motive or the circumstances behind this.”