Georgetown Fire Department extinguishes home fire caused by lightning
GEORGETOWN – Acting Chief Chuck Savage reports that the Georgetown Fire Department responded to an attic fire on Tuesday afternoon that was allegedly caused by lightning and led the owner to safety.
At approximately 4:11 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8, the Georgetown Fire Department responded to a report of smoke coming from the roof of a two-story house at 69 Lakeshore Drive. Upon arrival, engine 2 first responders noticed smoke billowing from the roof ridge. Crews helped the owner, who was on the second floor, escape the house.
Crews of Scale 1, Engine 1, and Engine 4 arrived to help. Firefighters quickly attacked the blaze, opening the attic entrance to find the entire attic and roof joists on fire. Crews opened the roof for ventilation, then pushed a pipe inside to quickly put out the blaze.
The Newbury, Rowley and Groveland Fire Departments assisted each other at the scene. Firefighters cleared the area about two hours after the initial call.
No one was hurt. Firefighters were able to locate a resident’s cat, which was found safe inside the house.
The damage caused by the fire was limited to the attic. The second floor of the house suffered water damage. The house is not considered habitable and the electricity has been cut. Residents have made other arrangements for living.
“The firefighters did an extraordinary job of putting out this fire quickly under very difficult conditions, given the extreme heat,” said Acting Chief Savage. “Thank you to our mutual aid partners, whose help has been invaluable. And thanks to Roger Baker of Rehab 5, who provided much needed hydration. “
The cause of the fire is said to be accidental. A preliminary investigation by the Georgetown Fire Department determined that the house was struck by lightning during a brief and intense thunderstorm. The state fire marshal’s office was consulted, but no further investigation was deemed necessary.