Seedings, OC Teams Opening Matches in CIF Girls & Boys Lacrosse Championships – OC Sports Zone, LLC
CIF Southern Section officials announced the seeds and brackets for the Section’s first boys and girls postseason lacrosse championships on Saturday. The previous postseason playoffs were led by US Lacrosse.
The tournaments will begin on Tuesday May 25th with wild boys rounds in select divisions and the Division 1 boys playoffs followed by girls wild cards on Wednesday May 26th.
CIF officials said 56 boys ‘teams and 47 girls’ programs were competing for the first championships in section history. All Championship games will be played at the host school’s venues, with Boys’ Divisions 1 and 2 culminating on Tuesday June 8 and Division 3 on Friday June 4. The girls’ finals will be played on Wednesday June 9 in Divisions 1 and 2 and 3. on Saturday June 5.
DIVISION 1 (Support of 32 teams, 25 registrations)
1. Loyola (16-1), Mission League champion
2. Mater Dei (16-1), Trinity League Champion
3. Foothill (10-3), Crestview League Champion
4. St. Margaret’s (12-3), independent entrance
LARGE SIZE ENTRY: Crespi (Mission), 8-7.
Match-ups between the Orange County teams on Tuesday. May 25 will feature San Clemente in Santa Margarita, Newbury Park in Yorba Linda, Servite in Sierra Canyon, Great Oak in St. Margaret’s, Newport Harbor in Santiago Corona, Trabuco Hills in Los Alamitos and Crespi in Beckman.
The teams that received byes were Corona del Mar, Foothill, Tesoro and Mater Dei.,
DIVISION 2 (16 teams, 18 registrations)
1. St. Francis (10-5), Mission League No. 3 Entry
2. Culver City (16-2), Oceanic League Champion
3. Aliso Niguel (15-2), Sea View League Champion
4. San Marcos (8-1), Channel League Champion
LARGE SIZE ENTRY: Peninsula (Bay), 7-7; Edison (Sunset), 11-6; Redondo Union (Bay), 5-4; Huntiington Beach (sunset), 12-7.
FREELANCE: Crean Lutheran, 7-2
There will be two wild card matches on Tuesday, May 25: Edison at Peninsula and Huntington Beach at Peninsula.
First-round matches involving Orange County teams on Friday May 28 include El Segundo in San Juan Hills, Woodbridge in San Marcos, Crean Lutheran in wild card winner Aliso Niguel in Northwood and El Dorado in Culver City.
DIVISION 3 (16 teams, 13 registrations)
1. Norco (13-5), Big VIII League Champion
2. Temecula Valley (10-6), Southwest League Champion
3. ML King, Jr. (13-4), Big VIII League entry # 3
4. Chaparral (9-8), Southwestern League finalist
LARGE SIZE ENTRY: Vista Murrieta (southwest), 9-6; Canyon / Anaheim (Crestview), 10-7;
Orange County teams with games on Tuesday, May 25 include Canyon in Chaparral and the University of Long Beach Poly.
DIVISION 1 (16 teams, 15 registrations)
1. Foothill (13-0), Crestview League Champion
2. Santa Margarita (12-2), Trinity League champion
3. Newbury Park (12-1), Marmonte League Champion
4. Mater Dei (14-3), Trinity League finalist
On Wednesday, May 26, there will be three wild card games involving teams from Orange County: JSerra in San Juan Hills, El Dorado in Beckman and Aliso Niguel in Oaks Christian.
The first round matches on Saturday, May 29 include the wild card winner in Foothill, Chaminde in Newport Harbor, Mater Dei in college, Edison in San Clemente and the wild card winner in Santa Margarita.
DIVISION 2 (16 teams, 18 registrations)
1. Canyon / Anaheim (14-5), Crestview League finalist
2. Corona del Mar (13-5), At-Large entry into the Sunset League
3. Dos Pueblos (12-1), Channel League Champion
4. Royal (9-2), independent entrance
LARGE SIZE ENTRY: Peninsula (Bay), 6-6; Murrieta Valley (southwest), 8-8; Mira Costa (Bay), 9-6.
There is a wild card match on Wednesday May 26 with a team from the OC: Corona del Mar at Mira Costa.
The first round matches on Saturday May 29th include El Toro in Canyon, Valencia in Dos Pueblos and Woodbridge in El Segundo,
DIVISION 3 (16 teams, 10 registrations)
1. Village Christian (9-4), Freelance Entry
2. Vista Murrieta (10-8), Southwestern League co-finalist
3. Portola (5-0), entry # 3 in the Pacific Coast League
4. Mission Viejo (10-1), Sea View League Champion
LARGE SIZE ENTRY: Nothing.
FREELANCE: Poly / Riverside, 6-6.
Segerstrom, Mission Viejo and Portola all have first-round byes. Segerstrom will face Mission Viejo and Portola will host Norco in the quarter-finals on Saturday 29 May.