The best Wednesday prep performers in baseball, softball, tennis, lacrosse and golf
Highlights of Wednesday in high school sports:
- Charlie Saum and Dylan Jackson each had one stroke and two RBIs as Thousand Oaks ended his remarkable regular season with an 8-3 victory Simi Valley in a non-league match. The Lancers (24-1), who set a county record with 31 straight wins in two seasons before losing to Newbury Park 2-1 last Thursday, are sure to be the top seed in the Division 2 playoffs in the CIF-Southern Section during the playoffs the pairs are announced Sunday at 10 am. Thousand Oaks set a program record in one season with 34 home runs, with Max Muncy tying a school record with nine in the regular season. For the Pioneers, Donnie Silecchio went 2 for 3 with a brace, Hunter Boylan finished 3 for 4, and Ryan Orsini, Benjamin Sawyer and Eddie Zapata each had a hit and and RBI.
- Phoenix Call and Sam Grunberg were each 3 for 4 with two RBIs, Josh Mechanick finished 2 for 2 with an RBI and Cooper Bobbitt finished 2 for 3 with a RBI in the lead. Calabasas to a 14-7 win over Ventura in a non-league match. Ramsey Dillon was 2 for 3 with a double and two RBIs, Danny Lucero and Rudy Aldana each got 2 for 3 with two runs scored, and Ashton Hayman pitched 2.1 scoreless innings for the Cougars.
- Pacific View League Champion Rio Mesa defeated Newbury Park 7-4 in a non-league game. For the Panthers, Wesley De La Torre hit a three-point home run, Nick Leehey went 3 for 4 and Jackson Trudeau 2 for 3.
After: Tuesday’s best prep players: Camarillo wins Coastal Canyon League baseball title
After: The best Monday prep performers in volleyball, tennis, softball, golf
- Aleah Volantis had a grand slam and a three-run homer, Kennedy Bunker was 2 for 3 with two runs batted in, and Shaina Lazarus struck out six of five scoreless innings and hit a solo homerun to lead. West Lake (17-2, 14-1) to a 10-0 win in five innings Thousand Oaks in a regular season finale of the Marmonte League.
- Hannah Glad was 2 for 3 with a double and an RBI, Natalie Yamane had a double and two RBIs, Kyara Escobar was 2 for 4 and Rylee Pinedo was 1 for 3 to lead Camarillo (14-1, 6-1) to a 7-2 win over Royal 7-2 in a Coastal Canyon League game. Alexa Landeros had a two-run homerun and Kaylee Escutia went 2 for 3 for the Highlanders.
BOYS TENNIS PLAYOFFS
- Ben Wang swept his No.1 singles sets, and James Sokoloski and Eeesh Manwani each won two singles sets to lead Foothill technology to a 10-8 win over the host Heritage 10-8 in a Division 5 semi-final match. The Dragons host JW North on Friday for the CIF title.
- Simi Valley lost for the host Portola 17-1 in a Division 2 semi-final match.
- Calabasas lost for the host Harvard-Westlake 10-8 in an Open Division semi-final match.
PLAYOFFS GIRL LACROSSE
- Nina McInerney scored four goals to lead Christian Oaks to an 11-8 win Aliso Niguel in a Division 1 wildcard match. The Lions will visit second-seeded Santa Margarita in a first-round match on Saturday.
- Christian Oaks finished in first place in the tournament in two rounds of the Marmonte League. The Lions shot a 410 at Olivas Links Golf Course on Wednesday for a total of 836 and a win of 64 strokes. Catherine Rao won the individual league title with a final 69 for a total of 140. Caroline Canales de Calabasas took second place with a 147. Jennifer Liu from West Lake was third with a 152. Johanna Nio of Oaks Christian was fourth with a 160, Eden Tan was fifth with a 167 and Haven Tan was sixth with a 172. Grace Williams of Thousand Oaks and Asha Patel of Calabasas each shot a 175 to tie in the seventh.